Session at the Speedway
Join Sir Walter Running and Raleigh Denim on Tuesday, June 19th at the Wake County Speedway for our version of the Ultimate Runner. Part of the Pop Up Miles series. Run on “America’s Favorite Bullring,” a quarter mile asphalt race track, right here in Raleigh! This event will double as Week #3 of the Pop Up Miles Championship qualifying, so there will be a Mile-only option for those that don’t want to “go the distance.”
But what is it?
At the “Session at the Speedway,” competitors will compete in 4 events (Mile, 440 yards, 880 yards, 2 Mile). Scoring is based on overall place in each event. Like Golf, lowest score wins. There will be special awards for Top 10 Male and Female, plus Age Group Winners. Also like golf, there will be a lowest overall foursome Team Award (coed). Teams can have more than 4, but Top 4 will score (and get award). Overall Male and Female Winner will get a slot in the Pop Up Miles Championship as well!
You will be grouped into heats based on your “predicted” (or actual) mile time, so be honest when you enter!
Don’t want to run, but want to come hang out? The Session at the Speedway is fan friendly! You may bring a cooler (no larger than 14″), but NO GLASS ALLOWED! Support your local breweries, especially those that support us! Plan on having a drink or two? Please Uber, get a Taxi, or get a designated driver. Be Safe!
Location – Wake County Speedway – 2109 Simpkins Rd, Raleigh, NC 27603
Cost – Only $10 (or $5 for Mile only) Race Day Registration starts at 6pm!
Schedule – There will be multiple heats of each distance
- 6:00pm – WCS opens to runners and fans (plus race day sign up)
- 6:30pm – Mile
- 7:00pm – 440 (aka 1/4 mile)
- 7:20pm – 880 (aka 1/2 mile)
- 7:45pm – 2 mile
- 8:15pm – Awards
- 9:00pm – Wake County Speedway closes
Chip timing will be done by Clockwork Race Timing
100 spots max!
Special Awards will be given for Top 10 Overall Men and Women, plus Winners of the following age groups:
- Under 18
- Lowest foursome overall Team Award (coed)
Online Registration is now closed. Race Day Registration starts at 6pm at Wake County Speedway!
Official Race Day Informaion (Updated 6/18 – 10pm)
- We’ll have wet towels, cool, water, and gatorade/powerade available.
- We are also targetting a 6:45pm start to allow some cooling. (It still may be 90 degrees at start time)
- We are looking to secure extra pop up tents, but there are some shaded areas at the Wake County Speedway (use them)
- How to get there: The address is 2109 Simpkins Rd, Raleigh, NC 27603. If you take Lake Wheeler out past Yates Mill, you will take a Left on Simpkins and a pretty quick right at the Speedway into parking lot. There is plenty of parking. There is also a gas station on Yates Mill right past the Simpkins turn if you need last minute supplies.
- Under 18
|Opening Ceremony||6:35 PM||All|
|Mile – Heat 1||6:45 PM||D, E|
|Mile – Heat 2||6:55 PM||B, C|
|Mile – Heat 3||7:05 PM||A|
|400 – Heat 1||7:15 PM||E|
|400 – Heat 2||7:20 PM||D|
|400 – Heat 3||7:25 PM||C|
|400 – Heat 4||7:30 PM||B|
|400 – Heat 5||7:35 PM||A|
|800 – Heat 1||7:45 PM||D, E|
|800 – Heat 2||7:55 PM||B, C|
|800 – Heat 3||8:05 PM||A|
|2 Mile||8:20 PM||All|
|Scudder||Nickolas||Mile only||SHRIMP ACADEMY||A|
|Meyer||Quin||Full||NCSU Club Track||A|
|Belson||Connor||Full||Night Club TC||A|
|Husen||Spencer||Mile only||NCSU Club Track||A|
|Staehle||Matthew||Full||NCSU Club Track||A|
|Bouchard||Carter||Mile only||SHRIMP ACADEMY||A|
|Nicol||Sean||Full||NCSU Club Track||A|
|Lewis||Wes||Mile only||House of Hops||A|
|Dudra||Greg||Full||Run Track Mind||B|
|Ziefle||Jon||Full||Bull City Track Club||B|
|Deroian||Rhea||Full||House of Hops||C|
|Bonneau||Kara||Full||Bull City Track Club||C|
|Sommer||Wesley||Full||House of Hops||C|
|Voss||Chris||Full||House of Hops||D|
|Nelson||Jacob||Full||NCSU Club Track||D|
|OREJEL||JUAN||Full||NCSU Club Track||E|
|HARRIS||ART||Mile only||Beer Run at Oak City Brewing||E|